Tuesday, May 23, 2006

This proves blogging is just for ME

I haven't posted for months and I am surprised I feel like doing this now. Not too long ago a good friend lost her father and shared some of her feelings out here in blogger-space. Brave of her I thought. I understand a little better how using this space can help sort shit out. I have not lost my father yet, but we have been given some very bad news.

Adenocarcinoma of unknown origin with metastasis.

Cancer. We don't know where it started. Spread throughout his body.

After years of health problems related to obesity my dad made a bold move. He researched various types of bariatric surgery, found a doctor, a procedure he was comfortable with and went for it. He had to lose 100 pounds before being allowed to have the surgery but he did it. His stomach was cut completely out and small intestine re-routed to allow for some serious weight loss. One year later he's lost 300 pounds and was looking forward to a new lease on life. Now this.

He went to the doctor about 3 weeks ago with the complaint of "not feeling right". After some abnormal blood tests they decided to admit him for more tests. Several CT scans, PET scans and bone scans later here we are. Cancer. It has been extremely aggressive. It has spread to bone marrow, bone and 2 lymph nodes undetected until now. In addition to all of that it is producing a protein that is causing his own immune system to attack his red blood cells. It is so severe that he would have been dead 2 weeks ago if untreated. As it is we are being told that they will not be able to cure him. He was given a choice and has decided to fight for whatever time they can buy him. They can't even tell us if he will leave the hospital alive, but our goal is to get him camping just one more time!

Doesn't seem fair, but I guess it never is.

2 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Legal Quandary said...

VG - I'm so sorry.

I hate the cliche of "I know how you feel," but it might be true here.

You and your family are in our prayers. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Tell your dad to give 'em hell. He might not end up beating the cancer - but defeat is guaranteed if he doesn't.

*hugs*

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger shell said...

I'm very slow at this but...how's your dad doing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home